The National Institute for Origin and Quality (INAO) is a public administrative establishment.
It is actively involved in the implementation and control procedures of the signs of Identification of the quality and the origin (Signes d’Identification de la Qualité et de l’Origine (SIQO)) in France.
It is under the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry (MAAF). As such, its operation is mostly funded by grants (70%). INAO oversees more than 1000 products, and about one out of every five French holdings is affected by SIQO.
The role of the INAO is part of a process of quality and enhancement of expertise and soils. Its area of expertise is available in several missions.
• Processing of applications for recognition under official signs
• Protection of signs and names
• Supervision of the checking of the official signs
• Demarcation of production areas and protection of soils
• International cooperation
• Information on official signs device